U.S. Chemical Corps
||U.S. Army Chemical Corps, branch insignia|
A benzene ring of cobalt blue enamel superimposed in the center of crossed gold color retorts, 1/2 inch in height and 1 13/16 inches in width overall.
The insignia (in bronze metal) was originally adopted in 1917 for the Chemical Service. In 1921, this insignia was approved for the Chemical Warfare Service. In 1924, the ring was changed to cobalt blue enamel. After the change in the designation of the Chemical Warfare Service to the Chemical Corps in 1946, the insignia was retained by the Corps. The elements of the design allude to the chemical related functions of the Corps. The benzene ring is the starting point for the method of indicating diagrammatically a molecular composition of a chemical combination. It has six points, one for each atom of carbon and hydrogen since the formula for benzene is C6H6. The retort is the basic container other than the test tube, for laboratory experiments.
||U.S. Army Chemical Corps, branch plaque|
The plaque design has the branch insignia in gold with the benzene ring in cobalt blue, outline in gold. The letters and border are gold and the background is cobalt blue.
||U.S. Army Chemical Corps, regimental coat of arms|
The coat of arms appears on the breast of a displayed eagle on the regimental flag. The coat of arms is: Per bend Or and Azure (Cobalt blue) a dragon rampant Vert armed and langued Gules and in base a tree trunk scarred by war eradicated of the first. Displayed above the eagle's head is the crest. On a wreath of the colors Or and Azure (cobalt blue) a dragon statant Vert armed and langued Gules.
||U.S. Army Chemical Corps, regimental insignia|
A gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches in width consisting of a shield blazoned as follows: Per bend Or and Azure a dragon rampant Vert and in base a tree trunk scarred by war eradicated of the first. The shield is enclosed on bottom and sides by a dark blue scroll inscribed "ELEMENTIS REGAMUS PROELIUM" (Let us rule the battle by means of the elements) in gold letters. The regimental insignia was approved on 2 May 1986.
Cobalt blue and golden yellow are the colors of the Army Chemical Corps. The battle scarred tree trunk, taken from the Coat of Arms of the 1st Chemical Regiment, refers to the historical beginnings, or root of American chemical warfare. The dragon, a legendary creature, symbolizes the fire and destruction of chemical warfare.