||U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, branch insignia|
A gold color triple turreted castle eleven-sixteenth inch in height.
The triple turreted castle has been in use by the Corps of Engineers since it was adopted in 1840. Prior to that time an insignia of a similar design was worn on the uniforms of the Corps of Cadets of the United States Military Academy since the Academy was under the supervision and direction of the Chief of Engineers. Selection of the turreted castle as the Engineer insignia followed the first major construction undertaken by the Corps of Engineers--the building of a system of castle-like fortifications for the protection of harbors along the Atlantic Coast. These fortifications, many of which are still standing, were in fact called "castles". By 1924, the insignia had involved into its current design and color (gold).